Register now for the ECV Soil Moisture Workshop in Vienna (20. - 21. September 2012)
The ECV soil moisture dataset, developed by TU Wien in cooperation with VUA Amsterdam and several partners, is the most complete and consistent global Essential Climate Variable (ECV) soil moisture data record based on active and passive microwave sensing. This workshop will provide participants with a complete theoretical and hands-on overview on how to access and work with this database. Both data providers and soil moisture data users are welcome to join.
September 20, 2012 (09:00-17:30) Workshop Day 1
September 21, 2012 (09:00-16:30) Workshop Day 2
Vienna University of Technology (TU Wien)
Institute of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (IPF; Room E122)
Gusshausstrasse 27-29, 1040, Wien
Why should you participate?
The workshop gives you an opportunity to understand the complete process from soil moisture data access to data use in models including relevant background information. It is our main interest to design the workshop as practically oriented as possible. Therefore, there are theoretical and practical sessions. A maximum number of 24 participants facilitates thorough understanding and gives us enough time for discussions and interactive lab sessions. Places are reserved on a “first come first serve” basis and the registration deadline is June 29, 2012.
During the workshop four themes will be discussed:
- Basic Theory: a theoretical background in active and passive soil moisture retrieval and the development of a merged active and passive dataset – ECV soil moisture data record generation.
- Quality and errors: theoretical and practical introduction to the known errors in both active and passive soil moisture retrieval and the ECV soil moisture data record.
- Validation with in situ and modelled data: theory and practical on how we validate the three datasets and which methods we use.
- Trends and dynamics: monitoring and assessing trends and dynamics using soil moisture data records.
For more information, including costs and a detailed program please download the workshop announcement as pdf.
- No upcoming events available